Northwest Ontario
Fishing, Hunting & Travel Map

Canada Customs Information:

Click here for information regarding importing firearms to Canada's Heartland.
Click here to view a road map of Canada's Heartland.
For general travel information
For more border crossing information, visit

The information below was accurate when we published it, however, there are constant changes. Please be sure you are up to date on the regulations.
For more info - visit
Customs phone number -Fort Frances, Ontario, Canada 1-807-274-3655

Canada Customs Responsibilities:
  • Monitor and Control the entry of people and goods into Canada by keeping out goods that could threaten Canadian?s health, environment, industry of agriculture.
  • To keep prohibited goods such as drugs, certain firearms and pornography out of the country.
  • Look for missing children and runaways

Always carry proof of your citizenship - a valid passport is required to enter Canada.

Bringing Children into Canada:
If you are travelling with children, make sure you carry ID for each child. Divorced parents who share custody of their children should carry copies of the legal custody documents. Adults who are not parents or guardians should have written permission from the parents.

Dogs and cats from the U.S. that are at least 3 months old need signed and dated certificates from a veterinarian verifying that they have been vaccinated against rabies within the last 3 years.

Prescription Drugs:
Make sure your drugs are clearly identified. Drugs should be in the original packaging.

Non-residents can import gifts to Canada duty free and tax free as long as each gift is valued at CAN $60.00 or less. Otherwise, duty and tax is payable. You cannot claim alcoholic beverages, tobacco products or advertising matter as gifts.

Reporting of Aircraft and Vessels:
If you are arriving in Canada by private aircraft or vessel, you have to land at a designated place for customs reporting. In an emergency situation, such as severe weather conditions, you may have to land your vessel or aircraft at a place that is not designated. In this case, you have to report the circumstances to a customs office or to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. Before leaving the US, heading for Canada you should call one of our customs officers at 1-888-226-7277 at least one hour, but not more than 72 hours, before flying into Canada and notify them of your intended destination in Canada. Hours of Customs Service may vary by airport check times for your chosen destination.

When you arrive in Canada by boat, you have to report to a customs officer by telephone through a vessel-reporting station. Call 1-888-226-7277 for more info.

Radio Transmitting Equipment:
US residents are allowed to operate aircraft, marine, amateur, citizen band (CB), Family Radio Service (FRS) as well as cellular and PCS mobile radios telephones in Canada without getting permission from the Minister of Industry.

Tax Rebates for Visitors
When you leave Canada, you may be eligible for a tax refund on the goods you bought in Canada if you take them out of the country within 60 days. For more info, obtain a copy of the pamphlet called Tax Refund for Visitors to Canada or call 1-800-66VISIT (1-800-668-4748)

CANPASS Permits For Frequent Travellers:
If you frequently enter Canada, you may qualify for a Canpass. If you are interested, contact the Canada Customs office at 2265 St. Laurent Blvd., Ottawa, ON K1G 4K3.

If You Have A Criminal Conviction (Including DUI's)

Impaired driving is considered a felony criminal offense in Canada and if you have been convicted of a DUI in the U.S. in the past 10 years, it may prevent your entry into Canada. There is a system in place to receive a temporary waiver so people with a minor felony may enter Canada during the ten years immediately after conviction. There is an administration fee to be paid and entry is not guaranteed. Call 1-888-242-2100 for further information
Canada Border Crossing Services offers free telephone consultation to determine eleigibility. Call 1-204-488-6350 or e-mail